Skip to main content

New year, new plans

For the past year or so, I've been mulling over some changes and a new direction for this little soap biz of mine.  Then a few odd little happenings last fall cemented my decision to switch things up a bit.

After 9 years, I've decided that I need to take time off from doing shows and markets.  It's not an easy business, packing up and schlepping here and there to peddle my wares every week in the rain, wind, and even snow.

So you will not see me at the Indoor Market in Monroe this winter.  However, you will continue to find my soaps and things in all the usual places.  I'll also be focusing more on my online shop, which is right here.  And of course, if you live locally and don't want to be bothered with shipping charges, I'm more than willing to venture out of my cozy warm house to coordinate a rendezvous with you and some lovely little soaps.

So, my new plans?

In addition to changing up and expanding my online shop, I'll be blogging more here.  Sometimes it will be soap-related and other times I'll write about something else completely.

Plans also include a re-vamp of my products and a hard look at what is selling well and what isn't.  This could get ugly as I may say goodbye to some of my personal favorites that are just that--my personal favorites and apparently no one else's.

I've also been playing around with new labels.  Here is a comparison of the two, with the updated version on the right (unless I make more changes to it).



Finally, here are some scented beeswax melts, my latest experiment.  I'm loving them and so are my testers.  Stay tuned!


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Soaping with Madder

I know that any color added to soap can morph into a surprise, but there is an added element of unknown when using botanicals to color my soap.  Some people jump out of planes or ski off mountains, but this is how I live on the edge these days.  Hmm.  If I weren't having so much fun, I'd be embarrassed. I recently had my first go with madder.  So....whatsa madder?  It's a root--the root of the madder. Ahem. (I love puns...) I infused 8 oz. of olive oil with 2 t. madder root powder for almost a week.  This amount worked out to be 20% of the oils in my batch. I wanted something in the way of embeds to add visual interest.   I dearly love my soap balls but I don't want to over do a good thing.  I've recently done square-shaped embeds, so this time I cut a bar of white soap into slices. I panicked a little that it wouldn't get dark enough--it was kind of a dusty peach--so I added 1/4 t. dried powder right before pouring. Madder powder can get a little

Last Chance Sale...at least for now

 Hello all! In preparation for our big move from our rental next month, I've put my entire Etsy shop on sale now through Friday. I'll re-open as soon as I'm able but I'm not sure exactly when that will be! So much is up in the air right now.  In the meantime, help me make my move a little lighter!! And for my local shoppers, I'm restocking several of my stores next week with my remaining inventory. Thanks to all of you for your business the past 12 years and I'll see you on the flip side!

Soap Challenge--Piping

I'm jumping into Amy W's soap challenge here in week 3--piping soap.  I chose to make a version of a batch I made last year--my Sweet Pea scented soap.  It was really popular for me last summer so why mess with a success? Some soapers assume that piping soap means that it must be whipped, but it's not necessary to whip it first.  When I don't want the whipped look (or more frequently, don't want to clean beaters) I just let it sit until it thickens up on its own.  (By the way, don't you adore these itty-bitty dishes?  I just bought them a few weeks ago. A set of four cost $1 at the Dollar Tree!) I used a Wilton tip #3 to make the little squiggles. I added tip #103 sweet peas and made leaves with a # 352 tip. One thing I love about piping soap....it never leaves even a trace of ash to spoil the design.   And then I took lots of pictures (it was a rather photogenic batch).  Here are a few-- These will be cured enough to have them at t