Skip to main content

Stain stick testing

Ages ago, I ran across an idea that intrigued me--making soap specifically designed for removing clothing stains. After doing some research on what would make the best recipe, I tried them out for myself awhile ago.

For my oils, I used tallow, a traditional ingredient, as well as coconut oil, which is a good cleansing oil. I also added borax for an extra boost and then something you might not expect—kerosene. I did a little research and discovered that some long-used name brand laundry bars contain a similar ingredient. And just a few days ago I happened to be looking through an old cookbook and read a tip that suggested rubbing a stain with straight kerosene. So it's not such a crazy idea after all.

I used a couple of ice cube trays to make the sticks and had just enough left over for a small bar. Here is how they looked after I unmolded them. They are so white--I love how they look!

There is a definite odor about them, however, but it does fade somewhat, I just realized. I used to be able to smell them as soon as I walked into my soap studio, but now I have to pick them up and actually sniff them to catch the odor. I do wish that the scent would completely fade!! It completely disappears in the laundry, unless of course, you grate up an entire stick and add it to your washer......but that was a different experiment. (And successful, just kerosene-y.)

And then one day I wanted to test them out in a different way. So I grabbed a very stained machine shop t-shirt out of the hamper and couldn't help but be a wee bit creative with my test. As you can see below, the stain stick works! And ever so much better than my laundry detergent, wouldn't you say? It's a clean shirt but the only parts that actually look clean are the parts of my giant smiley face.

He laughed in a confused way and called me a nerd when he saw his shirt, but I would prefer that my mister not wear this anywhere where someone could see my bizarre "artwork" so I am going to have to take my super stain stick to the rest of this shirt soon. But yay!! A success!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soaping with Madder

I know that any color added to soap can morph into a surprise, but there is an added element of unknown when using botanicals to color my soap.  Some people jump out of planes or ski off mountains, but this is how I live on the edge these days.  Hmm.  If I weren't having so much fun, I'd be embarrassed. I recently had my first go with madder.  So....whatsa madder?  It's a root--the root of the madder. Ahem. (I love puns...) I infused 8 oz. of olive oil with 2 t. madder root powder for almost a week.  This amount worked out to be 20% of the oils in my batch. I wanted something in the way of embeds to add visual interest.   I dearly love my soap balls but I don't want to over do a good thing.  I've recently done square-shaped embeds, so this time I cut a bar of white soap into slices. I panicked a little that it wouldn't get dark enough--it was kind of a dusty peach--so I added 1/4 t. dried powder right before pouring. Madder powd...

Soap Challenge--Piping

I'm jumping into Amy W's soap challenge here in week 3--piping soap.  I chose to make a version of a batch I made last year--my Sweet Pea scented soap.  It was really popular for me last summer so why mess with a success? Some soapers assume that piping soap means that it must be whipped, but it's not necessary to whip it first.  When I don't want the whipped look (or more frequently, don't want to clean beaters) I just let it sit until it thickens up on its own.  (By the way, don't you adore these itty-bitty dishes?  I just bought them a few weeks ago. A set of four cost $1 at the Dollar Tree!) I used a Wilton tip #3 to make the little squiggles. I added tip #103 sweet peas and made leaves with a # 352 tip. One thing I love about piping soap....it never leaves even a trace of ash to spoil the design.   And then I took lots of pictures (it was a rather photogenic batch).  Here are a f...

Soap Challenge--Dandelion Swirl

This Great Cakes challenge started off, well, challenging for me.  I had internet problems (a lack of it) and something went rather tragic in my attempt to cobble together a recipe without access to my online lye calculator crutch or a good saponification chart.  Obviously, I need to work on this skill, since my first batch of soap is still not firm enough to cut.  I've seen firmer marshmallow cream.  I'm estimating that I'll be able to cut it in a week or two or maybe three. The top came out pretty, though, didn't it? Sigh.  I wonder what the inside looks like. On to batch number 2.  I went for a winter/snowy theme this time, scented with BB's Fresh Snow fragrance. I made a small 6-bar batch.  I kept noticing that my divider (a dollar store cutting mat) didn't stay in the center but kept migrating toward the edge with every pour.  I was concerned that it would ruin the design, but it held well enough. I know this challenge was all abo...