Skip to main content

Just for fun soaping....alone

I've always been resistant to the idea of toting a cell phone with me at all times, ready for everyone that "needs" to get a hold of me this minute.  It makes me feel like a toddler with his ever-present pacifier.  As a result, the general rule is that somehow my phone is anywhere that I am not.  Take the recent voicemail my sister left me,"...so where did you leave your phone this time?" (Good question.  Answer: outside, on top of the grill.)

And then there was a few days ago....  The Mister called me from his work, followed by a text.  When he didn't get any response, he called several more times.  By 11 o'clock p.m., he became worried and called the neighbor who dashed over in her jammies to check on me.

Geez Louise.  She found me oblivious to the fact that I'd left my phone upstairs for hours.  I was soaping!  I was having a nice evening in my soap haven, making a just-for-fun batch.

I tried a brand-new recipe, using way different proportions of my usual oils.  I also added pumice to this batch.  I've had a jar of it that's been haunting me for about two years now.  While I didn't add enough to get the Lava soap effect, I now have a benchmark for future batches.



I scented it with a fragrance sample called Redwood and Cedar from a now-defunct fragrance company.  Oh my goodness, is there a company out there that can create its own version of this scent?  Please?  Pretty please? 

So...I'm not convinced I'll like this recipe, I wish it had more pumice, I'm really not thrilled with its spotted texture--in short, I'd like a second take of this batch because it was kind of a downer.  But at least I enjoyed a quiet, relaxed evening and I've got some dandy air fresheners!

Comments

  1. I think your soap still turned out lovely, Amy! Love the marbled effect, and the fragrance sounds wonderful. It's such a bummer, though, when you find out that your new favorite FO no longer exists. I've had a few of my favorites discontinued, but I always find new ones to love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband says, "I have no obligation to stop my life, to answer a ringing phone, unless I am on call. Same for pages, e-mail and other of technologies advances."

    This from a man who would be first in line to put a chip in his head and become merged with a computer, if possible. So, sometimes, you got to let it ring. Lyes out, phones off. No ring, no issues :)

    If someone needs to get a hold of u that badly, they can call my husband at work. If they are that close, they will have his number there.

    :) No answer da phony!!!! Live your life!!!!! It's not a leash. I'm getting on a high horse aren't I? I'm very short, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What on earth did we do before cell phones?? My kids still get on my case about not knowing where my phone is. Deal with it, I say!

    I like the look of this soap, wish I could smell it. What did you use to colour it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find your soap rustic and beautiful! Lovely colours combination, Amy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Soaping with Madder

I know that any color added to soap can morph into a surprise, but there is an added element of unknown when using botanicals to color my soap.  Some people jump out of planes or ski off mountains, but this is how I live on the edge these days.  Hmm.  If I weren't having so much fun, I'd be embarrassed. I recently had my first go with madder.  So....whatsa madder?  It's a root--the root of the madder. Ahem. (I love puns...) I infused 8 oz. of olive oil with 2 t. madder root powder for almost a week.  This amount worked out to be 20% of the oils in my batch. I wanted something in the way of embeds to add visual interest.   I dearly love my soap balls but I don't want to over do a good thing.  I've recently done square-shaped embeds, so this time I cut a bar of white soap into slices. I panicked a little that it wouldn't get dark enough--it was kind of a dusty peach--so I added 1/4 t. dried powder right before pouring. Madder powder can get a little

Soap Challenge--Piping

I'm jumping into Amy W's soap challenge here in week 3--piping soap.  I chose to make a version of a batch I made last year--my Sweet Pea scented soap.  It was really popular for me last summer so why mess with a success? Some soapers assume that piping soap means that it must be whipped, but it's not necessary to whip it first.  When I don't want the whipped look (or more frequently, don't want to clean beaters) I just let it sit until it thickens up on its own.  (By the way, don't you adore these itty-bitty dishes?  I just bought them a few weeks ago. A set of four cost $1 at the Dollar Tree!) I used a Wilton tip #3 to make the little squiggles. I added tip #103 sweet peas and made leaves with a # 352 tip. One thing I love about piping soap....it never leaves even a trace of ash to spoil the design.   And then I took lots of pictures (it was a rather photogenic batch).  Here are a few-- These will be cured enough to have them at t

Loofah--from vine to soap

If you've followed my blog for a long time, you've already seen a post on one of my favorite things to grow--loofah, but I think it's time for another one.  People are often surprised when they learn that loofahs are grown.  No, a loofah isn't a sea sponge, but the mature "skeleton" of a zucchini-like plant.  Everyone knows they are good for the bath but they also make great natural pan scrubbers in the kitchen.  They are so popular that I have to remember to tuck away any that I want to keep myself. I raise three or four plants every year.  Like a zucchini or a cucumber, it likes to spread out with little regard to another plant's personal space.  Here is last year's crop. Early in the summer, the loofahs remained neatly on the trellis: But then they wandered over to the basil: Cozied among the tomatillos: And hung out with the butternut squash: Harvest time was a regular treasure hunt.  But I ended up with about 20 loofahs fr